Monday, May 3, 2010

Sophie's First Swim Lesson

Sophie started swim lessons at Patterson Park on Monday. There are just 6 sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays for the next 3 weeks. Parents get in the pool with the kids and there are about 6 or 7 with one instructor. This was the first time to get in the water this year so I was hoping she wouldn't be scared, but wasn't too worried. She was so excited to get in and I barely had time to get the camera out and get a picture before she decided to go in without me. 
The shallow area for kids is just 1ft deep so we walked around for little bit before the class started. I guess I didn't think about her falling over easily and didn't have hold of her hand and she went over face first. I grabbed her up quickly and she was a little choked up. It scared me to death, but she was fine and it didn't seem to phase her. She loved the lesson and did so well moving from each activity. There wasn't any screaming to keep doing what we had been doing before. She jumped in to the count of three (she does the movement, but doesn't get her feet off the ground so I really lift her into the water). She reached for water toys to get the forward motion going, we blew bubbles and kicked up and down the lap lanes (on stomach and back). She liked saying "kick, kick, kick", but got kind of distracted watching all the other kids and didn't kick that often. Overall she did very well. She absolutely loved the water and got excited about the things we were doing. That being said, I don't think she will be swimming when the lessons are over. I think this is more of a getting used to the water type of class.

No comments: