Monday, March 29, 2010

Sleeping...

So I forgot to mention that Sophie has been going to sleep in her bed on her own for about 6 nights now. She has always slept in her bed all night, but we would get her to sleep and then move her upstairs without her waking up (for the most part). This was not the original plan, but it worked since she went to sleep pretty quickly. I didn't want to make her "cry it out" if it was that easy....until recently when she decided she didn't want to go to sleep but wanted to play even though she was exhausted (and we were falling asleep in the couch waiting for her to go to sleep). 

So we decided that we had to make the change now before baby #2 comes (and before I get so big and uncomfortable that I couldn't hold her on the couch at night to get her to sleep). The first night she cried for 20 minutes and then literally "fell" asleep. About the same the second night and then 30 minutes the third. After that, it only took about 5 minutes of crying and then another 5 to finally go to sleep. It was really hard for me to wait that long, but we were watching on the monitor the whole time and knew she was okay. She woke up happy and didn't hold a grudge (like I expected). She did, however, learn very quickly that she did not want to go to her bed when we would ask. She would climb up on me and lay very still and act like such a little angel. I felt bad making her cry a little since she was being so good, but in order to make this work, we had to stick to it. I think we made it over the hump and can now actually put her to bed before she falls asleep. We still need to work on daytime naps...I will keep you posted.

No comments: