Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bye Bye Paci!

It should have been done months ago, but we finally got rid of Sophie's paci this week. Dr. Bigham had said she should have been done with it by 18 months, but cut me some slack since I had Sutton when she was 22 months. At her 2 year appointment he suggested that we cut the tip of the paci and it wouldn't feel the same and she would make the decision on her own that she didn't like it.

I kept thinking as soon as we made it through the holidays and I was over my surgery/sickness that I would do it, but it never seemed like a convenient time. Amber had potty trained Karlee the week before and made the decision to get rid of the paci on Monday (by putting it in the snowman's mouth). I was talking to Jennifer (who was out of school for snow all week) and she said she cut Grant's on Tuesday so while I was on the phone and Sophie asked for it I cut one and gave it to her. Her first reaction was "I don't like that. Put the top back on it." She never really cried too much and only asked for it occasionally that first day and for two nights when she went to bed. I kept two around the house that were cut so that I could give it to her when she asked that way she was in control and made the decision not to suck it. Amber and I had said when we did it we would have to do it together so when the girls were together they wouldn't want the other's. It worked out perfectly that the three cousins got rid of them at the same time.

For some reason Sophie never even tried to take Sutton's from him. I was careful and put up all but the one I was using at the time, but she even picked it up for me a few times and gave it back to him. I'm thankful that it went as smooth as it did.

As for naps, she was never that great at them anyway so she has taken a few without the paci (when she is really tired). The car rides aren't bad at all without it and I enjoy getting to talk to her more (when she isn't sleeping). Since Sophie has been in her big girl bed we have been bad about laying down with her at night to read and falling asleep (sometimes before her). We rarely stay up there all night (the one with Sutton will usually wake the other up). Bad habit that we need to break, but for now it worked with getting rid of the paci during this time.

Sutton is still in the pack-n-play in our room. He slept upstairs in the crib twice before we took the paci away, but about that time he got real congested and the drainage woke him up coughing. I decided we would try to make it through this transition with Sophie before moving him up for good. Sutton hasn't been sleeping through the night for almost two weeks now. We were spoiled before! Looking forward to a time when they both sleep in their beds upstairs and go to sleep on their own. So tricky with two now!

No comments: