Saturday, May 2, 2009

Baby Food Making Party

Sophie will be 6 months old on Monday and we will start feeding her baby food more regularly. So far we have tried out cereal and bananas (just mashed up with a fork and water added). It hasn't been an every night thing yet...most of the time we fall asleep on the couch with Sophie before we get to that. 

Amber has been making Karlee's baby food for about a month and a half now and Chad and I decided to join in on the fun. It seemed like such a good idea, but I have to admit that I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it if Amber hadn't done it first and made it seem so easy. She agreed to help me with my first batch of food, but we didn't realize we would end up making 186 cubes! We are using a book called "Super Baby Food" and it give lots of good information about the foods they can eat at certain ages and how to prepare them. 

We made bananas, sweet potatoes, avocados and asparagus. We spent about 2 1/2 hours (including clean up time) and made 186 cubes which equals about that many jars of baby food. We spent around $25 on the vegetables and figure that the same amount of baby food would cost around $150 (if on sale). We figured we saved about $125 for this round of food. Chad says this is the reason he is doing it...otherwise it seems to "hippy like" for him. I like the idea of feeding Sophie food that I would actually eat. I love the bananas and sweet potatoes...not so much on the asparagus (I need a little butter). Anyway...I am looking forward to this process. Amber gets to go first and try things out so it makes it much easier on me. 

The picture of Mom and Sophie at the computer is a funny story. She clicked on "David Youell" and thought she was going to "Little" David's blog and instead got Big Dave on Skype. She was a little surprised since this was the first time she had seen how it worked. It was a funny conversation to hear from the kitchen:)






No comments: