Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sophie's 82nd Sunday at Church - VBS Program

The VBS program was so cute. The kids behaved better than I had seen them all week and I managed to keep Sophie in her seat instead of running up and distracting the other kids. Chad looked over at me and asked if I was crying and I have to admit I got a little teary eyed watching the little kids sing their songs...pregnancy hormones! 
I learned a lot this week teaching the 3rd and 4th class. I really enjoyed the bible stories we studied and interacting with the kids and hearing their thoughts and comments. Sometimes I wondered if they were really "getting it." One little boy told me that he might not be there the next day. After two days of VBS he said he just needed a break and said he missed playing his video games. Really?? I told him the video games were like the thorny/weedy soil in the parable of the farmer and that the video games were a distraction that "strangled the seed so it wouldn't grow." This same little boy told me that he was a poison tester for his older brother on the first day. He was supposed to report back if it was lame and if not he would come the next day. I said...well, what are you going to tell him? He said it was actually pretty fun. Don't know what happened the next day that made him want to stay home and play video games!
The last day didn't end so well when one of the boys in my class got his feeling hurt by some other boys who were throwing the water balloons at him to hurt him and saying hurtful things. Kids can be so mean to each other and it really made me realize how I want to make sure Sophie and Sutton are never hurtful to other people. 




No comments: